We seem to live in a golden age of computer-based testing.
The IELTS partners have also taken a positive step towards improving your IELTS experience for the candidates.
They have now integrated computer-based test delivery sessions for both IELTS Academic and IELTS General Training. But.
What is the difference between Computer-delivered IELTS & IELTS?
Which is better Computer or Paper-based IELTS?
Is IELTS Computer-based?
Is Computer-based IELTS easy?
Is the result faster in the computer-based test?
People often search these questions on google, in this article we’ll answer them all.
Also, Many Candidates have been asking since then, whether to choose a computer-based test or to go for the old paper-based test.
The topic has been in debate since then, so I have tried to clear all the possible questions and doubts that may appear while choosing between a computer-based and paper-based test.
What’s in it for me:
1- 6 reasons why I would prefer a Computer-based IELTS test rather than the old school paper test.
2- Is the marking the same in the computer-based exam?
3- Is IELTS on a computer harder than IELTS on paper?
4- I need special arrangements to take IELTS. Can I sit the computer-delivered test?
5- Is the result faster in the computer-based test?
6- Countries in which a Computer-based IELTS test is available.
The following are the 6 reasons why I would prefer a Computer-based IELTS test rather than the old school paper test.
1. WORD COUNT
- The most common but still the best benefit of the computer-based test is that it made the candidate less stressful as they don’t have to focus on the word count.
- The Computer automatically counts the words.
2. QUICKER RESULT
- One of the top benefits of the computer-based test is that the candidates will get the result quicker than those giving paper-based tests.
3. COUNTDOWN TIMER
- An automatic countdown timer comes handy with the computer-based IELTS test.
- It is a good thing as it warns you about the remaining time during the test.
4. EASIER TO EDIT
- Test taken on a computer screen can be easily editable. Most candidates found that editing on the computer makes it much easier to organize and structure their essays.
5. HANDWRITING ISN’T AN ISSUE
- Most of the students were worried about their handwriting that whether the examiner will able to read it correctly.
- Now, if you have chosen to take the test on Computer, then you don’t have to worry about the handwriting.
Answering some of the most asked questions
Ques 1 – Is the marking the same in the computer-based exam?
Answer – Yes, it is as exact as the paper test. All the rules and markings will be the same.
The only difference is that you have to type on a screen instead of on a paper.
Ques 2. – Is IELTS on a computer harder than IELTS on paper?
Answer – No, it will be the same as the paper- test. The difficulty level, scoring, and the result, all will be the same for both.
Ques 3. – Should I take IELTS on paper or Computer?
Answer – This is up to your personal choice.
If you are comfortable giving an exam on a computer, then you should go for the computer-based test. And if you are not comfortable typing or reading from the screen, then go for the paper-based test.
Ques 4 – I need special arrangements to take IELTS. Can I sit the computer-delivered test?
Answer – Test takers with special requirements are encouraged to contact their test center to check if the computer-delivered test is suitable for them or not.
Ques 5. – Is the result faster in the computer-based test?
Answer – Yes, if you have given a computer-based IELTS test, then you will get the result faster than students with the paper-based test.
As always here is a bonus tip or advice for you –
REMEMBER YOU HAVE A CHOICE (BTW PAPER VS COMPUTER)
Some people may be uncomfortable or inexperienced with technology. They might be worried about their typing ability or about looking at a computer screen for too long.
Remember that you always have a choice between taking the computer-based or paper-based IELTS test.
You can choose to depend upon your convenience and ability.
Countries in which online is available
- Argentina (Buenos Aires)
- Australia (Adelaide, Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth, Sydney, Wollongong)
- Azerbaijan (Baku)
- Bahrain (Manama)
- Bangladesh (Dhaka)
- Brazil (Brasilia, Curitiba, Rio de Janeiro, Sao Paulo)
- Cambodia (Phnom Penh)
- Canada (Calgary, Halifax, Mississauga, Montreal, Ottawa, Scarborough, Toronto, Winnipeg)
- Chile (Santiago)
- Colombia (Bogota, Medellin)
- China (Guangzhou, Beijing, Shanghai, Chongqing)
- Cyprus (Nicosia)
- Egypt (Cairo, Alexandria)
- France (Paris)
- Ghana (Accra)
- Greece (Athens)
- Hong Kong (Macao, Hong Kong)
- India (Ahmedabad, Amritsar, Bathinda, Bangalore, Bengaluru, Chandigarh, Chennai, Delhi, Hyderabad, Jalandhar, Ludhiana, Mumbai, Noida, Pune)
- Indonesia (Bali, Jakarta, Surabaya)
- Ireland (Dublin)
- Italy (Bari, Milan, Salerno, Rome)
- Japan (Tokyo)
- Jordan (Amman)
- Kazakhstan (Almaty, Astana)
- Kenya (Nairobi)
- Kuwait (Salmiya, Safat)
- Laos (Vientiane)
- Lebanon (Beirut)
- Malaysia (Kuala Lampur, Penang)
- Mexico (Mexico City, Condesa, Coyoacan, Satelite, Guadalajara, Monterrey, Queretaro)
- Myanmar (Yangon)
- Nepal (Kathmandu)
- New Zealand (Auckland, Wellington)
- Nigeria (Lagos)
- Oman (Muscat)
- Pakistan (Islamabad, Karachi, Lahore)
- Peru (Lima)
- Philippines (Manila, Cebu, Baguio)
- Poland (Warsaw)
- Portugal (Lisbon)
- Qatar (Doha)
- Romania (Bucharest)
- Russia (Moscow, St Petersburg)
- Saudi Arabia (Al Khobar, Riyadh, Dammam, Jeddah)
- Singapore (Singapore)
- South Africa (Johannesburg, Pretoria)
- South Korea (Seoul)
- Spain (Barcelona, Bilbao, Madrid)
- Sri Lanka (Colombo, Kandy)
- Switzerland (Bern, Saint Gallen)
- Taiwan, China (Kaohsiung, Taipei, Taichung, Taoyuan, New Taipei City, Hsinchu)
- Thailand (Bangkok)
- Turkey (Ankara, Erzurum, Istanbul)
- Vietnam (Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City)
- Ukraine (Kiev)
- United Arab Emirates (Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Sharjah)
- United Kingdom
- Uzbekistan (Tashkent)
- WORD COUNT
- QUICKER RESULT
- COUNTDOWN TIMER
- EASIER TO EDIT
- HANDWRITING ISN’T AN ISSUE
I hope we’ve answered all your queries, if any doubt, share in the comment section below.