IETLS(International English Language Testing System) is the world’s leading English language proficiency test for higher education and global migration & is managed by British Council, IDP: IELTS Australia and Cambridge Assessment English.
With O2 Masters, learn how to get 7+ Band in IELTS general writing.
IELTS test has four modules:
1- IELTS Listening
2- IELTS Speaking
3- IELTS Reading
4- IELTS Writing
IELTS listening & Speaking test is the same for both academic and general training modules.
For IELTS reading & writing, Pattern is diverse.
How to get 7+ bands in IELTS Writing:
IELTS Writing section plays an essential role. With o2masters help, follow our guidelines, and surely you can score seven bands and above.
The main goal of IELTS Writing is to check:
- Grammar, Vocabulary, ability to Generate ideas.
- Ability to analyze and compare various things.
- Graphs, charts, pictures, etc. Understanding
- Ability to generate ideas on various topics and give opinions.
IELTS General – Writing tasks
There are two tasks in the IELTS Writing Exam.
IELTS Writing Task 1:
You need to write a letter of at least 150 words based on a formal or informal situation.
Test- taker has 20 minutes to complete this IELTS Writing Task 1. In this, the situation is given; no other information is mentioned, whether it is formal or informal.
Candidate needs to decide this on their own and read the question carefully.
Frequently asked Situations in Task 1:
- Addressing complaints (mostly formal)
- Forwarding invitations (mostly informal)
- Making arrangements (formal/informal)
- Expressing apology (formal/informal)
- Registrations/applications (mostly formal)
- Obtaining request
Sample Instruction (question – formal letter)
You are interested in applying for a scholarship program to study at Howard University. Write a letter to get information about the course.
- Show your interest in a particular course
- Mention about your knowledge about the University
- Explain why the university should provide you with the scholarship
Address: Not to be mentioned (Instructions are given not to mention the address)
Dear Sir/Madam, (If we don’t know the name of the person we are addressing)
Dear Mr Eva/Dear Ms David (If the name is known)
Body of the letter: The main body of the letter should be written in paragraphs, as suggested below.
1st Paragraph: Opening lines
2nd Paragraph: Your concern in the particular course. Why do you opt for the specific course?
3rd Paragraph: Describe all the details of the university. Also, discuss why the university should grant you the scholarship.
Last Paragraph: Completion followed by request for financial aid.
Initial Remarks: Start the mainframe of the letter with any one of the following statements
- Concerning the subject cited above, I would like to introduce myself as an applicant for claiming the scholarship.
- I am writing this letter about the scholarship program for graduate study.
- This is in response to the notification about the scholarship program for graduate study at your acclaimed/esteemed university.
- I want to introduce myself as an aspirant for the scholarship program for pursuing graduate study at you’re your university of global reputation.
Closing line: Looking forward to a positive reply
Yours faithfully, /faithfully yours,
Yours sincerely, sincerely yours,
Summary of the getting Band score 7+ in IELTS General Writing Task 1:
- Read & understand the purpose of the letter for Writing Task 1.
- Recognize the type of letter and decide if it is a formal letter or informal letter.
- The main focus on the beginning and end of the letter.
- Mention all the critical points as given in the question paper.
- Vocabulary & grammatical structured should be maintained.
- Write the letter in paragraphs.
- Keep the word limit up to 200 words maximum.
- Do not spend any more than 20 minutes on Writing task 1 so that you have 40 minutes for Task 2. Task 2 is worth twice as much as Task 1, and so you must spend more time on Task 2.
IELTS Writing Task 2 – Writing Assignment:
A topic is given, and the candidate has to write an essay in 250 words. The time given is 40 minutes( Because you also need to complete IELTS Writing task 1 in the initial 20 minutes of the 1 hour.
For a perfect score & band, the candidate needs to write not only quickly but also focus on writing your answer.
IELTS Writing Task 2 usually asks about a social problem, anything related to society. The topic could be health, gender roles, youth, environment, education, etc.
Do not focus on fancy words but giving a point of view on the topic with the help of examples.
It is not necessary that you take all the aspects. You may take only one, two or all the elements
Introduction (definition), history, scope, etc.
2nd and 3rd Paragraphs:
Actual points of debate, your point of view on the topic with the help of examples.
4th and 5th Paragraphs:
Highlights on the limitations with the suggested solution followed by conclusions and references.
IELTS Writing Task 2: How to write an introduction
IELTS Writing Task 2 Tips: Expressing your Opinion
IELTS Writing Task 2: Linking words for the Conclusion
Significant parameters for getting a higher score:
- Ideas showed must be relevant to the given topic.
- Powerful sentences without grammatical errors.
- Vocabulary should be above average and appropriate. Using vernacular (mother tongue) collocations results in less score.
- Linguistic Phrases and Idiomatic Expressions would attract a higher score.
- Avoid repetition of words/phrases and or ideas.
IELTS writing task 2 question types:
Agree or disagree question is about determining whether you agree or disagree with the given statement. The question asks you to give your opinion on the same.
Any social issues…. Then-candidate is asked…. Do you agree or disagree with this view?
In this, you are given a topic and then asked to discuss the advantages & disadvantages.
Any Topic… then-candidate is asked… Discuss the advantages & disadvantages of this.
Discuss both views:
In this, both views or opinions are asked for a particular situation or topic.
Any topic… then-candidate is asked… Discuss both sides.
Discuss both views and give your opinion:
In this, the candidate needs to discuss both views and give your advice.
In this, a problem/solution asks you to provide a possible solution to a particular situation.
Any Situation… then the Candidate is asked… Suggest ways to tackle this problem.
This question contains a double question essay, two items will be asked, and the candidate needs to answer both.
How is IELTS Writing Task 2 marked or scored?
You can calculate your score: 8+6+6= 20/3=6.66. Task 1 score and two tasks, two scores, and then divide it by 3. IELTS usually round the number up or down the nearest half score, which means from 6.66 to 6.5.
Summary of the getting Band score 7+ in IELTS General Writing Task 2:
- Keep reading newspapers or e-newspapers and be updated with the latest changes in society, politics, current affairs, etc. plus, your vocabulary will be improved too.
- Watch tv channels, web series, debates to have good exposure to English.
- Always make on an outline
- Keep it simple
- Focus on language, grammar structure not on the length
- Understand collocations
- Avoid spelling mistakes
- Don’t use the wrong words or informal language
Consider an Online PTE preparation course.
O2 masters usually provide individual classes for both Academic and General Training. The main goal of O2 masters is to make a candidate enjoy learning and improve day by day.
I hope we’ve answered all your queries, if any doubt, share it in the comment section below.
We help you boost your score through a combination of smart teaching and personalized teaching plans.
Preparation for IELTS is the most crucial step towards achieving your desired goal of studying abroad. A proper Preparation, along with the right set of guidance and training before the exam, helps you to score well on the D-day. The mock tests allow you to...
OET or Occupational English Test is a language proficiency test for health professionals. It assesses their listening, reading, speaking, and writing skills. It is beneficial for the people who wish to settle and practice in an English-speaking country. OET involves...
OET 2.0 Listening Test Tips | OET Listening Are you preparing for the Occupational English Test (OET)? Do you want to score high in the OET exam? Well, in this article we will share all the key tips to improve your performance in the OET Listening subtest Part A. In...
Best Books for PTE Exam | Top 10 books PTE exam is known as the Pearson English Language test, is an English language test for students and working professionals who want to work or study abroad. The PTE exam is trusted by universities & colleges in many countries...
IELTS is most prominent english test which will allow you to study or work abroad. There is 2 types of Exam in IELTS first is IELTS Academic that is for study abroad and another one is ILETS General that is for Work abroad. Both contains 4 types of test Listening,...
Best Books For OET Preparation The Occupational English Test(also known as OET) is the English Language test for healthcare professionals. This exam is curated to analyze the candidate’s language proficiency of healthcare professionals who want to practice abroad. OET...
OET Reading Test Tips & Reading Material | Oet Exam Are Preparing for the Occupational English Test (OET)? Do you want to score high in the OET exam but confused about how to prepare for it? Well, in this article we will share all the key tips to improve your...
Covid -19 IELTS EXAm Latest Updates For Exam Takers As you know every country is dealing with the Novel Coronavirus that is spreading rapidly. Many Countries are following Completely Shutdown to protect its citizens. In this pandemic Situation, IELTS official, too,...
IELTS Writing Tips | 12 Tips for IELTS Writing Task 2 Are you searching for effective ways to score high in the IELTS writing task 2? In this article, I will tell you the top 12 Tips for IELTS Writing Task 2. IELTS Exam is the most common and popular language exam...
Novel Coronavirus (Covid -19) - PTE Test Latest Updates For Exam Takers As you all are well aware, coronavirus is very much spreading around the world and is the biggest issue at present. Efforts to control the Coronavirus outbreak are continuing to be taken by the...