How to get 7+ bands in IELTS Writing:IELTS Writing section plays an essential role. With o2masters help, follow our guidelines, and surely you can score seven bands and above.
The main goal of IELTS Writing is to check:
- Grammar, Vocabulary, ability to Generate ideas.
- Ability to analyze and compare various things.
- Graphs, charts, pictures, etc. Understanding
- Ability to generate ideas on various topics and give opinions.
IELTS General – Writing tasksThere are two tasks in the IELTS Writing Exam.
IELTS Writing Task 1:Letter writing: You need to write a letter of at least 150 words based on a formal or informal situation. Test- taker has 20 minutes to complete this IELTS Writing Task 1. In this, the situation is given; no other information is mentioned, whether it is formal or informal. Candidate needs to decide this on their own and read the question carefully. Frequently asked Situations in Task 1:
- Addressing complaints (mostly formal)
- Forwarding invitations (mostly informal)
- Making arrangements (formal/informal)
- Expressing apology (formal/informal)
- Registrations/applications (mostly formal)
- Obtaining request
Sample Instruction (question – formal letter)You are interested in applying for a scholarship program to study at Howard University. Write a letter to get information about the course.
- Show your interest in a particular course
- Mention about your knowledge about the University
- Explain why the university should provide you with the scholarship
- Concerning the subject cited above, I would like to introduce myself as an applicant for claiming the scholarship.
- I am writing this letter about the scholarship program for graduate study.
- This is in response to the notification about the scholarship program for graduate study at your acclaimed/esteemed university.
- I want to introduce myself as an aspirant for the scholarship program for pursuing graduate study at you’re your university of global reputation.
Summary of the getting Band score 7+ in IELTS General Writing Task 1:
- Read & understand the purpose of the letter for Writing Task 1.
- Recognize the type of letter and decide if it is a formal letter or informal letter.
- The main focus on the beginning and end of the letter.
- Mention all the critical points as given in the question paper.
- Vocabulary & grammatical structured should be maintained.
- Write the letter in paragraphs.
- Keep the word limit up to 200 words maximum.
- Do not spend any more than 20 minutes on Writing task 1 so that you have 40 minutes for Task 2. Task 2 is worth twice as much as Task 1, and so you must spend more time on Task 2.
IELTS Writing Task 2 – Writing Assignment:A topic is given, and the candidate has to write an essay in 250 words. The time given is 40 minutes( Because you also need to complete IELTS Writing task 1 in the initial 20 minutes of the 1 hour. For a perfect score & band, the candidate needs to write not only quickly but also focus on writing your answer. IELTS Writing Task 2 usually asks about a social problem, anything related to society. The topic could be health, gender roles, youth, environment, education, etc. Do not focus on fancy words but giving a point of view on the topic with the help of examples. It is not necessary that you take all the aspects. You may take only one, two or all the elements 1st Paragraph: Introduction (definition), history, scope, etc. 2nd and 3rd Paragraphs: Actual points of debate, your point of view on the topic with the help of examples. 4th and 5th Paragraphs: Highlights on the limitations with the suggested solution followed by conclusions and references.
IELTS Writing Task 2: How to write an introduction
IELTS Writing Task 2 Tips: Expressing your Opinion
IELTS Writing Task 2: Linking words for the Conclusion
Significant parameters for getting a higher score:
- Ideas showed must be relevant to the given topic.
- Powerful sentences without grammatical errors.
- Vocabulary should be above average and appropriate. Using vernacular (mother tongue) collocations results in less score.
- Linguistic Phrases and Idiomatic Expressions would attract a higher score.
- Avoid repetition of words/phrases and or ideas.
IELTS writing task 2 question types:Agree or disagree question is about determining whether you agree or disagree with the given statement. The question asks you to give your opinion on the same. Any social issues…. Then-candidate is asked…. Do you agree or disagree with this view?
Advantage/disadvantage:In this, you are given a topic and then asked to discuss the advantages & disadvantages. Any Topic… then-candidate is asked… Discuss the advantages & disadvantages of this.
Discuss both views:In this, both views or opinions are asked for a particular situation or topic. Any topic… then-candidate is asked… Discuss both sides.
Discuss both views and give your opinion:In this, the candidate needs to discuss both views and give your advice.
Problem/solution:In this, a problem/solution asks you to provide a possible solution to a particular situation. Any Situation… then the Candidate is asked… Suggest ways to tackle this problem.
Double question:This question contains a double question essay, two items will be asked, and the candidate needs to answer both.
How is IELTS Writing Task 2 marked or scored?You can calculate your score: 8+6+6= 20/3=6.66. Task 1 score and two tasks, two scores, and then divide it by 3. IELTS usually round the number up or down the nearest half score, which means from 6.66 to 6.5.
Summary of the getting Band score 7+ in IELTS General Writing Task 2:
- Keep reading newspapers or e-newspapers and be updated with the latest changes in society, politics, current affairs, etc. plus, your vocabulary will be improved too.
- Watch tv channels, web series, debates to have good exposure to English.
- Always make on an outline
- Keep it simple
- Focus on language, grammar structure not on the length
- Understand collocations
- Avoid spelling mistakes
- Don’t use the wrong words or informal language
Consider an Online PTE preparation course.O2 masters usually provide individual classes for both Academic and General Training. The main goal of O2 masters is to make a candidate enjoy learning and improve day by day. I hope we’ve answered all your queries, if any doubt, share it in the comment section below. About O2 Masters ensures no matter what your test OET, IELTS, or PTE, you achieve an optimal score. Receive guidance, personalized tips, and solutions. We help you boost your score through a combination of smart teaching and personalized teaching plans.
Best Books For OET Preparation The Occupational English Test(also known as OET) is the English Language test for healthcare professionals. This exam is curated to analyze the candidate’s language proficiency of healthcare professionals who want to practice abroad. OET...
OET Reading Test Tips & Reading Material | Oet Exam Are Preparing for the Occupational English Test (OET)? Do you want to score high in the OET exam but confused about how to prepare for it? Well, in this article we will share all the key tips to improve your...
Covid -19 IELTS EXAm Latest Updates For Exam Takers As you know every country is dealing with the Novel Coronavirus that is spreading rapidly. Many Countries are following Completely Shutdown to protect its citizens. In this pandemic Situation, IELTS official, too,...
IELTS Writing Tips | 12 Tips for IELTS Writing Task 2 Are you searching for effective ways to score high in the IELTS writing task 2? In this article, I will tell you the top 12 Tips for IELTS Writing Task 2. IELTS Exam is the most common and popular...
Novel Coronavirus (Covid -19) - PTE Test Latest Updates For Exam Takers As you all are well aware, coronavirus is very much spreading around the world and is the biggest issue at present. Efforts to control the Coronavirus outbreak are continuing to be taken by the...
How to Prepare for IELTS at Home? IELTS Exam is the most prestigious Test that measures your English Proficiency. IELTS Exam allows you to work and study abroad and is accepted by 140 Countries for Study and work. IELTS Exam contains writing, speaking, reading and...
PTE Exam Common Mistakes TO Avoid | Mistakes & Tips Do you want to pass PTE Exams? While preparing for PTE Exams it is important to understand the PTE Exam common mistakes that people usually make. Learning from other people’s mistakes is the best strategy to go...
PTE WRITING TEST | TIPS AND TRICKS WITH QUICK CHECKLIST WHATS IN IT FOR FOR ME? 1. SKILLSET ASSESSED IN PTE WRITING 2. QUICK CHECKLIST FOR PTE WRITING 3. TIPS FOR PTE ESSAY WRITING TASK 4. TIPS FOR SUMMARIZING TASK I found that the majority of students...
PTE LISTENING TEST | MODULES AND MAJOR FALLBACK REASONS PTE Listening test is a sub-section of the PTE test. It takes approximately 45-60 minutes to complete the task depending upon the modules and tasks given to you. In this Sub-Test of the PTE exam, you will be...
IELTS Preparation Books Recommended list. IELTS Academic, General Training, Cambridge Guide to IELTS Student’s, General Training, Best for IELTS Preparation