Linking words | Importance of Linking words in IELTS Speaking
Linking words or phrases are also known as Transition words. These words are the connector words that help to form a logical and the most effective relationship between ideas in a sentence. These linking words help the listener to understand the responses more clearly also helps the speaker to express more effectively. By now you might be thinking what these linking words have to do with IELTS. Linking words plays a very vital role in your IELTS scoring. They are important in both IELTS Speaking as well as IELTS Writing.
WHATS IN IT FOR ME?
1. Why linking words are important in IELTS Speaking? 2. Types of Linking words in IELTS Speaking 3. Tips for using Linking words
IELTS(Internation English Language Testing System) is a leading English language proficiency test for higher education, university admissions, employment and global migration which is managed by British Council
, IDP: IELTS Australia
and Cambridge Assessment English
. With O2 Masters, IELTS exam online Coaching
, Score better with our Expert Team. O2 Masters ensures their students achieve an optimal score. Our Experienced Tutors help you boost your score through a combination of smart teaching and personalized teaching plans.
1. Why Linking words are Important? Why should we use them? The right employment of linking words is the most important aspect of speaking in the IELTS exam.
- Linking words or phrases helps the candidate by improving the structural quality of the sentence.
- Linking words are very useful for making additions to the sentence. They are used to add more ideas to the continuation of the sentence.
- Linking words are best used for highlighting opinions and conclusions.
- They add cohesion and coherence to the sentence.
- You can express purpose and opinions with the help of linking words and phrases.
- Linking words or connecting words are part of the marking criteria which makes up 25% of IELTS speaking.
Types of Linking words for IELTS Speaking Types of linking words are different for IELTS Speaking and IELTS Writing. In this section, I am going to explain to you all the important types of Linking words used in IELTS Speaking. 1. Causes and Solutions
2. For Stating a direct opinion
- The main reason is
- It was caused by
- The best way to solve is
Include your opinion in your sentence with the use of the following words –
3. For expressing disagreement Disagreement is a very delicate expression. In order to combine a sense of disagreement into your sentence, you can use the following words –
- In my opinion
- From my point of view
- As far as I’m concerned
- I believe that
4. For expressing agreement If you want to present an expression of agreement then these words can be used as linking words in your sentence.
- I strongly disagree that
- I disagree with the opinion
- I contradict with
- I disagree with this
- I totally disagree with the given statement
- However, my opinion is different from
- I oppose the statement of
- I completely disagree with the opinion
- It’s unjustifiable to say that
- I disagree with the group of people who believe that
- I disapprove that
- On the contrary with
- I do not accept the fact that
5. For Presenting time or sequence If you want to present a sequence of timings then use these linking words –
- I quite agree that
- We could not agree more
- I am in agreement
- Yes, I agree
- I strongly agree that
- I am quite inclined to the opinion that
- I agree with the opinion that
- So do I
- I accept that
- I consent that
- Neither do I
- I approve the idea of
6. For making conclusions For making any conclusions following linking words are used in IELTS Speaking.
- At the same time
- As soon as
- After this
- After that
- Following this
7. For Contrasting and Concession These linking words are used to contrast or compare or giving a concession
- All in all
- Last/ Lastly
- In the end
- To sum up with
- I conclude
- In conclusion of
- To summarize
- In summary
- Summarizing it
- I can end it by
- I can conclude by
8. For being more Clear For being a little more clear or to repeat in order to be clear, you can use these words
- On the other hand
- As I was saying
- I mean to say that
- What I want to say is
- As I was saying
- What I mean to say is
Tips for using Linking words Here are some of the most important tips for using Linking words for IELTS Speaking. 1. Do Not Overuse – Linking words or phrases are meant to be used naturally while giving IELTS Speaking test. You have to be sure not to use these words too often in your sentences. 2. Do not make it Formal – The use of linking words should remain a little informal. Do not make the method of linking too formal as it is not too appropriate.
Consider an Online IELTS preparation course.
O2 masters usually provide individual classes for both Academic and General Training. The main goal of O2 masters
is to make a candidate enjoy learning and improve day by day. I hope we’ve answered all your queries, if any doubt, share it in the comment section below. About O2 Masters ensures no matter what your test OET
, or PTE
, you achieve an optimal score. Receive guidance, personalized tips, and solutions.